Divisional Placement Rule for National Championships
The process for determining racer divisions for the NASTAR National Championships is based on ability. The criteria is designed to place participants in the correct division based on their ability within their age and gender group:
- Platinum Division
- Gold Division
- Silver Division
- Bronze Division
NASTAR National Championship participants will be placed in a division based on results within their race profile. The first rule listed below that applies to a participant's race profile will place them in their division:
- NASTAR National ranking handicap (3 race days needed) as of April 7.
- If less then three race days are completed before April 7, the racer's best handicap and medal earned will place the participant in their division (Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze).
- Racers that competed in the 2023 NASTAR National Championship can request to be placed in a division based on their best handicap from the 2023 Nationals.
- Participants that do not have an opportunity to race and qualify before April 7, may request a discretionary entry. Discretionary entrants will be entered in the Bronze Division race.
- Racers that earn a silver, gold or platinum level handicap in the bronze division race will advance to the Silver Division race on April 10. Participants that earn a gold or platinum level handicap in the silver division race will advance to the Gold Division race. Participants that earn a platinum level handicap in the gold division race will advance to the Platinum Division race.
- All competitors have an opportunity to qualify for the Finals within their division. The top 32 adults (21+) and the top 32 junior (20-) within each division qualify for the Race of Champions Finals. The Finals take place the day after the divisional races and qualified male and female racers compete together with their handicap in dual, head-to-head, single elimination races. Pro style horse gates are used at the start to handicap the racers and the first person to cross the finish line wins. Competitors that advance through four rounds of competition compete for prize money.
Racer divisions are set by April 1. Participants have the option to move to a higher, more competitive division than their qualifying division, but participants cannot move to a division below the division in which they qualified. Request to move up to a more competitive division must be completed by April 1st by 6pm. The option to change division can be found under the CHAMPIONSHIPS tab within the racer's record when they are logged in. Participants can also race their way to a new division. For example, if a racer qualifies in the bronze division but earns silver medal handicap during the bronze division race, the racer will be moved up to the silver division.