2021-22 NASTAR Resort Franchise Information
06.10.2021 | Bill Madsen
Thinking of hosting NASTAR at your resort?
NASTAR, which stands for the NAtional STAndard Race, was developed back in 1968 by SKI Magazine and now boasts 100,000 racer days annually 100+ resorts around the country. Our goal is to provide ski resorts with a turn-key alpine racing solution that animates the resort experience and encourages repeat visits. Better yet, we provide a powerful event management system that reduces the amount of staff needed to host races.
The heart of NASTAR is the handicapped scoring system that allows racers to compare themselves to family and friends every time they race one of our courses. The races can be both dual head-to-head races and traditional single-course races. Historically the courses have been giant slalom, but slalom is also now an option.
How It Works
- All resorts set a Par Time for each racecourse they set and participants compete against National Standard during each race
- Resort Pacesetters earn a handicap that allows them to set the Par Time and to establish the National Standard
- The NASTAR website is the complete resource for recreational racing
- Each racer is given their own web page to monitor their results, rankings, participation badges and the ability to follow their buddies
- All participants earn a ranking in their age and ability group at the host resort
- Participants earn handicaps based on their ability
- Participants can qualify for the NASTAR National Championships at the end of every season
Resort Benefits For Hosting NASTAR
NASTAR Branded Race Material
- NASTAR banners, gate panels and signs, all designed to present a professional race venue with safe, functional and durable materials
- NASTAR timing and scoring software that is a user friendly event management system
- NASTAR Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals embossed with the host resort’s name or logo for race participants (must be ordered through the NASTAR licensed medal provider)
NASTAR Website Presence
- All participating resorts are listed online under the RACE tab at nastar.com
- A link to the host resort’s website listed on nastar.com (72,192 average monthly page views)
Marketing and PR Presence
- The NASTAR e-newsletter:
- The NASTAR newsletter is sent to 70,000+ participants bi-monthly, and weekly around major events
- Features include: special events, participant news, NASTAR resort events, U.S. Ski Team updates and more
- SKI Magazine:
- The the founder and media partner of the NASTAR program, SKI Magazine generates significant awareness for the NASTAR program and host resorts through a season-long advertising campaign, five (5) program-specific full color, full-page print ads distributed to more than 300,000 subscribers promotional eblasts to inform digital subscribers about events, resorts, and program information, and social media awareness
- NASTAR maintains a strong presence on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. We work with resorts to share their posts and promote their programs throughout the season
We supply resorts with all of the tools necessary to host NASTAR races:
- Timing software, website, registration forms, bib numbers, gate panels, start, finish and race today banners, coroplast signs and supplemental promotional information.
- Host resorts provide hardware (gates, timers, computers, display boards, etc)
- NASTAR has developed an optional, low cost, RFID system to improve efficiency
- NASTAR provides online registration and guest information is shared with resorts where guests participate
- There are guidelines for pricing but the entry fee revenue is not shared with NASTAR
- It is recommended that resorts sell a season pass to race their NASTAR course
- Many resorts offer NASTAR racing for free as a resort amenity
- The franchise fee does not include the cost of medals. NASTAR medals must be ordered through NASTAR's licensed medal provider. Contact NASTAR for details.
Live race results are recorded online during the race:
- Official results are posted immediately following the race.
- National, State, Resort and Overall Rankings are updated nightly.
- Race leagues and team scores are easily managed and accumulated results for race series are tracked online
Race staff must attend a Regional Pacesetting Trial to establish Pacesetting Handicaps:
- Each resort must have a minimum of two (2) Pacesetters with certified NASTAR Pacesetting Handicaps.
- A Pacesetter’s Handicap is used to set the National Standard or Par Time for each NASTAR race.
- The Pacesetter’s Handicap is divided by his/her time to establish the time that the National Pacesetter would have skied the course had he been there that day.
- Each resort is ultimately responsible for the location and set up of their NASTAR race venue.
- NASTAR encourages resorts to place their race venue on a trail in a high-profile location (i.e. visible from a high-traffic lift or lodge).
- Resorts have the option to set single or dual courses. Race courses should be approx. 350 meters in length.
- NASTAR Giant Slalom (GS) courses must be set with 18-22 meters of space between gates vertically and 4-8 meters of offset.
- NASTAR Slalom (SL) courses must be set with 10-14 meters of space between gates vertically and 1-6 meters of offset.
- There are separate rankings for GS & SL races.
- Courses must not be within 5% of the Cap Time. The Cap Time is defined as the time it takes a Pacesetter to tuck from the start to the finish of the course without going around gates and is the fastest possible time the venue will allow. This rule forces the course setter to set turns in the racecourse to test the participants skill level.
Due to a number of variables at each resort, the look and feel of each race venue will vary according to the resort.
RACE VENUE MATERIALS
Participating NASTAR resorts are supplied with all of the promotional materials needed to set-up a public recreational race venue. NASTAR resorts can select vertical self-standing wind wing banners or 12' x 3' horizontal banners for Start, Finish and Race Today.
Below is a list of materials you will receive as a member of NASTAR.
- Timing & Scoring software
- Registration Forms
- Participant bibs
- Gate panels
- Start, Finish & Race Today banners: 12' x 3' banners or Wind Wing self-standing banners
- Register Here sign
- Information sign
- Start panels: coroplast-horizontal and vertical options
- Dry erase scoreboard
- Handicap chart
To Join NASTAR contact Bill Madsen to receive a contract at: firstname.lastname@example.org
NASTAR Resort Franchise Fee: $2,500
- The contract must be received by October 1st via Email or US Mail
- If payment is not included with the contract an invoice can be supplied for payment
- Payment can be made with a check or credit card
- Resorts must provide NASTAR with their certificate of insurance and NASTAR must be named as an additional insured
Contact Bill Madsen with questions: 970-923-6278 or email@example.com
To join NASTAR Resorts Must:
- Send NASTAR an executed contract
- Pay the Franchise Fee
- Select NASTAR Race venue materials
- Provide a certificate of insurance naming NASTAR as an additional insured
Make Checks Payable to: NASTAR
Mail to contract and payment to:
NASTAR Attn: Bill Madsen 5720 Flatirons Parkway Boulder, CO 80301