Welch Village will host the Nature Valley NASTAR Midwest Championships February 27 & 28. The event will include GS races on Saturday ane the Race of Champions and team races on Sunday. Participants will compete in their age and ability groups. Racers that make the podium will qualify for the Nature Valley NASTAR National Championships.
Racers that win their age and ability group on Saturday will be invited to compete for the overall win in the Race of Champions on Sunday. The Race of Champions is a handicapped race so young and old can compete on a level playing field. Racers carry their handicap into the race and their time is discounted using their handicap. The first racer down the course climbs on top of the podium and each successive racer tries to knock them off the top step with a faster discounted time. The last person standing on top of the podium is the overall winner. Awards are also presented to the racers with the fastest raw times.
The Team Race on Sunday is designed for families to compete together as a team. We also encourage participants to meet new friends during the event and form Friends Teams. There will be separate divisions for family teams and teams of friends. Teams can have up to six people but only three racers will be used to score points for each team. NASTAR Team Points will be used to score teams so that age and gender can be used to handicap racers.
Racing will take place on the Lookout trail. There will be a sponsor village, an awards party, live music, gift bags, Pacesetting by four time Olympian AJ Kitt, an autograph sessions and more.
There are Great Lodging Deals in Red Wing and Welch.
Use the keyword NASTAR to get the discount.
The entry fee is $59 for adults to compete Saturday & Sunday.
The entry fee is $45 for juniors to compete Saturday & Sunday (1-20 years of age).
The Nature Valley NASTAR Midwest Championships entry includes:
- Entry to GS races Saturday
- Entry to the Family/Friends Team race Sunday
- Gift bags
- Awards Reception/Raffle
- Sponsor Village
- Live Music
- Celebrity Pacesetter-AJ Kitt, four time Olympian
- Discounted lift tickets
- Discounted lodging
Discounted lift tickets and lodging are available to participants and guests:
Lift tickets are $35 per day for registered racers and paid guests. Kids four years and younger ski for free.
$10 Entry fee for the Team Race only: Competitors that would like to join a team and race only in the Family/Friends Team Race can enter Sunday morning in the Vista Room.
Guest credential(s) for discounted lift tickets, the Awards Reception & Live Music $15 ea.
Friday, Feb. 26
- 4:00-8:00pm Competitor Check-In The Vista Room (pick up race bibs, start orders and gift bags)
- 7:00pm Race Clinic
Saturday, Feb. 27 Nature Valley NASTAR Midwest Championships GS
- 8:00am-11:00am Competitor Check-In The Vista Room (pick up race bibs, start orders and gift bags)
- 9:00am-3:00pm * Sponsor Village Open
- 10:00am Junior Racers 20 years and younger. The youngest participants will race first
- 1:00pm Adult racers 21 years and older. The oldest competitors will race first
- 4:00-5:30pm Live Music and Racer Reception
- 5:30pm Awards & Raffle
All participants will take two race runs but only the best race run handicap will count for awards.
Participants will be placed in a one of two divisions based on the best handicap they earn
- Division I Platinum/Gold medal handicaps
- Division II Silver/Bronze medal handicaps
Sunday, Feb. 28 Race of Champions & Team Racing
- 8:00am-9:30am (Racer Check-In, pick up start orders)
- 10:00am Female Race of Champions
- 10:30am Male Race of Champions
Awards will be presented immediately following the race.